Shipshape Studio blog: craft and design Shipshape Studio blog home Shipshape Studio shop Shipshape Studio website Shipshape Studio press About Shipshape Studio Shipshape Studio FAQs and Contact

19.10.12

Interview :: Leah Duncan

Leah Duncan's style is right up my street and she also happens to be one of the friendliest people I've encountered in the design world. Isn't it nice when that happens? We're very pleased to be sharing an interview with Leah alongside some photos of her beautiful studio and her four legged studio pal. The Q and A with Leah happily coincides with the addition of her wrapping paper designs to our shop. They're perfect for gift giving, but we like them so much that we've got some designs framed and hung up in our office. You should too!

Leah Duncan's studio in an interview on the Shipshape Studio blog

Where do you work from and how would you describe what you do for a living?
I'm currently living in Brooklyn, NY, and have a studio space in the Clinton Hill Navy Yard. I'm an illustrator slash designer who has a product line that includes textiles, home goods, and stationery. I also license my work to companies who produce things like bedding, journals, wrapping paper, cell phone covers, and other things they fancy.


Leah Duncan's studio in an interview on the Shipshape Studio blog

Do you have a set process with which you approach new projects?
I sometimes think it would be easier if I did but I like to look at all projects as a journey rather than a blueprint. I work well when things get a little messy and the unexpected pops up.

Where do you look for inspiration?
Nature, animals, color, and the small moments in my life.



Leah Duncan's studio in an interview on the Shipshape Studio blog
 
Do you have any formal arty training?
I have zero formal arty training, but I learned a lot working as a graphic artist after college for a screen printer. I think my lack of formal training has given me a unique perspective in that I'm not so concerned with following rules or things I've been taught when it comes to the content, color, and technical aspects of my work.



Leah Duncan's studio in an interview on the Shipshape Studio blog

What's your number one piece of advice?
Be brave. Be kind. Be strong. Give yourself time to listen to your heart and don't let it be drowned out by everyone else's noise. Never be afraid to make mistakes. Work hard. Appreciate what you have. Smile. Wear pink.

That came to more than one piece of advice but they are equally important!

Leah Duncan's studio in an interview on the Shipshape Studio blog

What's your favourite way to spend a Sunday afternoon?
It's normally spent cleaning. But because our new NYC apartment is so small it doesn't take very long! So after the cleaning I sit around in my pyjama pants and look at how sparkly our apartment is. It's also nice to head to the park for an afternoon picnic if the weather is nice.


Thanks for chatting with us, Leah! You can buy Leah Duncan designs from our shop right here, and see more interviews here.

All photos ©Leah Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let us know your thoughts. We appreciate each and every one, and try to respond to as many as possible.